Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Test (preliminary post)

This will be my new blog on the reality we live today and my expectations and  hopes for the future, with a special emphasis in my closer reality: the Basque Country but with a wide look at the whole World too. It will replace Leherensuge, which has served me (and hopefully my readers too) well for the last two or three years.

The title is taken from the famous sentence of Pio Baroja: For what they were we are, for what we are they will be.

The main reason why I have delayed splitting Leherensuge in two is that I could not find cool names for both branching-out blogs. Finally Baroja's phrase, one of my favorite sayings, came to me a few days ago and I decided it was the way to go.

Obviously, my other main blog, the one dedicated Prehistory, Anthropology and Genetics, Basque and global ongoing reality and hopes for a better future will be named For what they were we are.

I still have to finish some details in the design but unless something goes really wrong suddenly in my life or the Internet, this blog and its nemesis will be active in few days.

6 comments:

  1. Too much red. It hurts the eyes. I would suggest u make the page background white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find white, not in paper but in a screen, much more hurtful to the eyes. White is the color that sends most light to the eyes, while this is good for paper, it's painful in screens, specially if you read a lot. Darker colors are more relaxed.

    However I may change the letter color to white as it should contrast better with the dark red background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rose background, the banner color, the link text color and the white text are all very good, but the dried blood colored background color is really pretty ugly. I agree with you that a dark tone is the way to go, and I understand the notion of sticking to a red palette, given the politics (even though in my neck of the woods red spontaneously relocated from the political left to the political right wing for some reason) but, I think it might look better if you could find a less "dirty" hue, perhaps a dark pastel or velvet red color.

    Well, anyway, ultimately it is your preference that matters, and this is your space, so don't mind me.

    Your split of the blogs certainly makes rational sense, and I very much like the link pages you have done at "For what they were... we are." I also like the idea of having an RSS feed from our other blogs in the side bar to unify them, like different sides of a unified whole, which your cool blog names do as well.

    I've tried a couple times to split my eclectic blog, but have never managed to find a way to divide it that produces a clean split that is reasonably balanced.

    I look forward to your posts here to get a window into what is going on in your neck of the woods, as none of my main news sources: National Public Radio, the BBC, the Associated Press, or the Washington Post does a good job of covering Southern Europe. In college, I read the Financial Times, which was better, and since them I've read the Economist, which isn't ideal but catches more stories than other sources, but I can't afford either of them, in time or treasure, these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see it as "dried blood" color but rather velvet red one (or simply dark red or light maroon). If you have an obsession with blood in a negative sense, you may perceive it everywhere. Some people in my family faint (or almost) at the very sight of blood but for me blood represents life and energy, rather than death.

    Anyhow, if I want to use red, I can't but choose a dark red shade. Otherwise it'd really hurt the eyes (too much pink, light red, is also unfriendly).

    Thanks for the input anyhow. I joined your blog as follower, let's see what you have to offer. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your new blog projects Maju.

    I'll miss refering to you by the title of your old blog.

    Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Joe. Hope to see you around, whichever blog(s) you prefer. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please, be reasonably respectful when making comments. I do not tolerate in particular sexism, racism nor homophobia. The author reserves the right to delete any abusive comment.

Comment moderation before publishing is... ON